Sunday, December 22, 2013

Blondes vs. Brunettes #9 - Sports Review wrestling #1

Boom.  There it was, nestled in a rack of wrestling magazines, two women fighting each other and the screaming headline: “Apartment House Wrestling Shocker! Champion Dethroned In No Holds Barred Brawl!!”  

Bam. INSTANT HARD ON.  This can’t be, I thought as I flipped open to the story, but there it was, a gorgeous bikini-clad brunette with a headlock on a bikini-clad blonde.  Are you kidding me? What a photo

Salome wraps up the great Cynara

Bing. And all I was looking for that day was some juicy women wrestling advertisements that were normally found in the back pages of your typical wrestling magazine. Instead, I found a whole new world of wrestling called “Apartment House Wrestling” that featured barefoot, bikini-wearing beauties, fighting each other in front of a room full of rich dudes, a delightful fantasy orgainzed by a mysterious fellow “Dave Moll” for the entrtainment of his wealthy pals. 

I’m sure my face was flush as I devoured this story at the newsstand, scanning left and right, hoping nobody I knew came strolling into the place and discovered me.   Nervously, I paid for the mag and escaped the scene with my lode inside my coat, thank the Lord it was winter so I could hide the goods.

Knowing that nobody was home yet, I hustled back to my bedroom and read through the story, thrilled that the black haired Salome defeated the blonde beauty Cynara.

Now, you didn’t have to be a genius to realize that the photos were all staged, this wasn’t a real fight after all.  But it was photographed well and certainly worked for me.  And it didn’t really didn’t bother me that Cynara, the shapely blonde, looked stronger and more athletic than Salome, what the hell she would probably kick Salome’s ass in a real fight, all that mattered to me was that a blonde and a brunette fought in bikinis and the brunette won the fight.  How delicious.

Starting with that 1975 issue, I became a big fan of Sports Review Wrestling over the years and as I got older became bolder in my actions until one day I bought one of SRW’s “Battling Girls” magazines, those being the periodic issues that dealt exclusively with apartment house wrestling matches, and as I was paying for it, the cigar smoking old fart at the cash register waved it around and yelled out “Well, this young man knows what he wants, doesn’t he?” 
The brunette smashes her blonde
opponent with her powerful legs

Thanks a lot asshole, I thought as I walked out with a beet red face.

Dark haired Salome quickly disappeared from the pages of SRW (Dave Moll said she got married), but blonde Cynara, with her marvelously toned body, hung around for a few more years beating up other women and became a real fan favorite.

Dr. Chin's website has captured all of the Apartment House history in its glorious black and white images from the 1970s and 19080s.

Like many of us, he's wondered exactly who Cynara was and whatever did happen to her.  No real answer, but given that she was probably in her 30s at the time (she did look a few years older than the other girls) she must be in her 70s by now, assuming she is still with us.  Since nobody could ever figure out her real name, tracking her whereabouts is next to impossible.  It might be that like Bettie Page, she’s unaware of her popularity and is living normal life.  But like Page, who discovered her newfound popularity in her later years, you might think that Cynara would type “Cynara wrestling” into a Google search box and discover how her popularity has endured over the years.  Ditto for Salome and others. Surely they could get a table at comic-con or some other doofy gathering and pull in big cash signing photos as Page did in her final years.      
Aside from Salome, other brunettes did not enjoy success against the tough blond Cynara.
This poor gal is getting, quite simply, punched out.

No comments:

Post a Comment