Sunday, January 19, 2014

Blondes vs. Brunettes #13 - Ships at Sea

Delores Hart, former blonde babe
now a Catholic nun (seriously)
Many years ago, this would be back in the late 70s or early 80s, I was lazily watching an early 1960s Ernie Kovacs movie on an independent station in the Boston area. Must have been the summer because I recall lounging on the sofa in shorts and a t-shirt.
The movie, Sail a Crooked Ship, featured a cast that included Robert Wagner, Frankie Avalon and Frank Gorshin. The females stars were blonde Delores Hart and brunette Carolyn Jones who later became famous for her TV role as Morticia Addams. My interest wasn't with the women but rather in Kovacs and Gorshin two of the great comedic actors of all time. I figured it had to be a funny movie and as it turned out, it was pretty funny.  But the point here and I know what you're all thinking "Enough of the bullshit, just get to the catfight" was that my intended interest soon took a turn when one of the opening scenes featured Hart in a bathing suit.  Whoa!! And then there was a scene with Jones showing all sorts of leg, double Whoa!!  By then I was thinking ... "What if these two ..."

This was about 10 years before VHS became widely popular so the only way to see a catfight was by

a.  Knowing what movies or TV shows to watch, and that was no easy task.

b.  Actually being in a position (time, location) to watch the show. Since there was no way to record anything, if you were at work or school, you were out of luck.

Occasionally, a catfight would pop up seemingly from nowhere; gosh, what a thrill when that occurred.

Carolyn, later Morticia, in heels,
presumably posing as she goes
upstairs to the Captain's quarters
Which brings us back to Crooked Ship. My recollection over the years was one of a knock down drag out blonde vs. brunette battle between the two women.  Funny though, I never saw anything about on either Ed Stips' Yahoo Group or Runboard's Classic Catfight site.

How could they both miss this fantastic clash?

After years of waiting I finally gave in and bought the DVD.  Hart and Jones looked a gorgeous as I remember them but when we finally got to the scene on  the ship where they lunged at each other, it was a major let down. A quick, blink-and-you'll-miss-it tussle with the girls grabbing each other's hair.

This is pretty typical, isn't it?  We always remember the fights from long ago as being better than they actually were.
 

 
Hey, wake up, out there!!

Speaking of blondes, I'm sitting here at home (called in sick today (this would be the 14th of January as I'm writing but realizing that I probably won't publish this blog entry until Sunday the 19th)) watching Fox News.  Now, I don't care what your politics are, you simply have to hand it Fox for having the hottest blondes on TV and if you spend any time watching, you now they always show plenty of leg.

Yup, there's blonde Gretchen Carlson sitting at a desk with her mid-thigh hemline.

As one might say, "Look at the legs on that blonde!!"

Being fair and balanced, Fox also has a show called "The Five" that features a couple of hot brunettes: Kimberly Guilfoyle and Andrea Tantaros, also both showing lots of leg.  But they don't come close to either Gretchen or the queen of Fox and you know who I'm talking about: Megyn Kelly.

Ah, oh, wait, ahhhhh .... there she goes again, Gretchen just crossed her legs on camera!

By the way, did you know that Megyn Kelly got into a catfight in high school? Yup, and apparently beat up the other girl. Hair color of the loser? She won't say.

Megyn Kelly talks about her catfight

Another boat slapping scene

This is from the 1980 Italian women-in-prison flick titled "Hotel Paradise." Despite the movie poster and DVD cover's promise of a stunning catfight (more about that in a later blog entry) this lame face slapping scene was about the extent of the confrontation.

 


It could have been inside a home trailer for all we know

It's not especially nautical, but the legendary blonde, blue-eyed beauty Ann Francis, in her greatest role as Honey West, fought Diane Foster in what was supposed to be the inside of a boat's cabin. Now the truth of the matter is that I haven't seen the entire episode, I've only read about it, so I'm taking it on good faith that it was inside of a boat. If I can find a DVD set of Honey West, el cheapo, I'll buy and watch the whole thing. 

Come to think of it, I really need to devote an entire blog to Ann because she's such a classic blonde and had a number of confrontations with brunettes in Honey West, or so I'm led to the believe, since the series predates me by more than a few years I don't know for sure.

In the meantime, dig the poster. I mean isn't this what you imagine when you think of the term blonde vs. brunette? A classic battle awaits.  Not that I want to see anybody get hurt.  Just one woman to beat the other and when the fight is over, they both put their heels back on and the loser gets down on her knees in front of the winner and says ... ummmm something like, and this is just an example   "I'm sorry for telling dumb blonde jokes and promise to never do it again so you don't beat me up." 

 

Download the files from Media Fire

Honey West

Hotel Paradise

Sail a Crooked Ship

No comments:

Post a Comment